Cookie Dough Ice Cream Bomb is an over-the-top frozen treat that consists of a cookie dough case and filled with ice cream, chocolate sauce, white chocolate ganache, KitKats and finished off with Nutella and more white chocolate ganache! Seriously one of the best ice cream desserts you will ever eat and its really not hard to make! I mean, who doesn’t love an ice cream bomb?
If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen that I recently hit 1000 followers and counting! I know it’s not much but it’s a new milestone for LCB and I’m over the moon! You may have also seen that I said I had a special recipe to celebrate. Well. Here it is! A cookie dough ice cream bomb. Fit for any celebration.
As you will see from the video, I had no real plan when it came to the recipe. I knew I wanted to make an ice cream bomb with a cookie dough outside but the rest was unclear. Did I want to add Oreos? Caramel? All sorts of candy? As you will see from the final recipe, I didn’t go crazy on the filling…. Too crazy anyway.
For the cookie dough case I adapted my cookie pie dough to make it edible when uncooked (replacing the eggs with milk). You could take this one step further and heat proof the flour or replace the flour with oat flour if your stomach gets upset with uncooked flour.
Next I used store bought vanilla ice cream. I considered making my three ingredient ice cream but found I was far too impatient to make that and let that set before making the bomb!
I then decided to create layers within the bomb. First vanilla ice cream followed by a chocolate ganache swirl and topped with KitKats and a few blobs of cookie dough. You could omit the KitKats completely, replace with your favourite chocolate bar or go completely off the wall and add ten different types of chocolate bars! The choice is completely up to you.
We then repeat with a layer of vanilla ice cream, this time change the chocolate ganache for white chocolate ganache (just for something a little different) top with more KitKats and finish with the base layer of cookie dough.
After letting this bomb freeze for eight hours you can serve with a topping of white chocolate ganache and Nutella! Not a bad way to celebrate 1000 followers if I do say so myself.
- Cookie Dough;
- 200 g Butter Partially Melted
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 2 and 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Ganache;
- 100 g Dark Chocolate
- 100 mL Cream
- White Chocolate Ganache;
- 150 g White Chocolate
- 1/3 Cup Cream
- 1.75 L Vanilla Ice Cream
- 100 g KitKats Broken
- 1/4 Cup Nutella
- Let the ice cream sit out on the bench to become soft while you make the rest of the ice cream bomb.
- Make the chocolate ganache by heating the cream to nearly boiling and then pour over the broken up chocolate and mix until smooth and glossy.
- Repeat this process with the white chocolate ganache and set both aside.
- Break up the KitKats into small pieces and set aside.
- Line a small bowl with clingfilm and set aside.
- Now make the cookie dough by beating the partially melted butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the vanilla essence, golden syrup and milk.
- Beat in the flour and then finally the mini chocolate chips.
- Take 2/3 of the cookie dough and flatten pieces of this in your hands and press the pieces into the side of your prepared bowl. Cover the bottom and sides of the bowl completely with the cookie dough. (You could let the cookie dough chill and harden for an hour so you can roll out the cookie dough in one piece if you prefer).
- Next take half of your ice cream and spread in an even layer in the base of your bowl.
- Top with 1/3 cup of chocolate ganache and lightly swirl through the ice cream.
- Sprinkle over half of the broken KitKats and blob a few blobs of cookie dough if you want to.
- Spread over the remaining ice cream and top that with 1/3 Cup of white chocolate ganache and lightly swirl through the ice cream.
- Sprinkle over the remaining KitKats and finish off with a layer of cookie dough. This is your base so it doesn't have to look perfect it just has to keep everything inside.
- Freeze for eight hours so the ice cream can set.
- Once set, turn over the bowl on a bench or serving plate and lift. The ice cream bomb should just slide right out and remove the clingfilm.
- Top with any remaining white chocolate ganache and some melted Nutella.
- Slice and serve. Or dig in with a spoon!
You could use any chocolate bar you wish.
You could use chocolate ganache in place of Nutella on top.