I’m trying something a little different this week. I have had this idea for while now about setting a aside a week every month or two and dedicating that to a certain type baked good. As you can see this week is Cookie Pie Week which means that all the recipes this week will be cookie pie related. This is a little experiment on how much you, the readers, enjoy this idea so any feedback is appreciated and welcome.
What better way to start off cookie pie week than with a Salted Caramel Cookie Pie and a video tutorial?! This salted caramel cookie pie is a soft, gooey, chocolate chip cookie filled with a warm, melting salted caramel sauce. The caramel and the cookie is all made from scratch but don’t think you will be slaving away in the kitchen for hours… You will see from my tutorial that it takes minimal time and effort to whip up this gorgeous cookie/pie.
When I started my blog in 2013 I had a video tutorial for every recipe. At the time I was experimenting (still am) and honestly I’m still not happy with most of the videos but they are all still there to see on my YouTube channel as people do watch them and its a way for me to show how much I have grown and continue to learn. Since I have restarted this blog this year (you can check out more on the story in my about page) I haven’t filmed many tutorials as I have been more focused on creating recipes and setting this site up to make it just perfect.
I am a film maker at heart and I know I, like a lot of people, enjoy watching tutorials of
food desserts being made. So, I have begun filming again and experimenting with different styles so I hope you all enjoy them and again, any feedback is welcomed.
Right, on to the cookie/pie….
To begin, we have to make the caramel sauce. This caramel sauce is super easy to make and only take three ingredients. Take butter and brown sugar and melt those together on a medium-high heat then add milk. Boil that together for at least 2 minutes. (The longer you boil the darker and richer the caramel sauce). Add salt to make it salted caramel and set aside
Just look at that oozing caramel!!
The cookie is a simple cookie mixture that is then halved and one half is spread on the base of a pie dish. That is then covered in the oozing caramel which is then topped with the remaining cookie dough. The cookie dough is a sticky dough so I found the easiest way to top the caramel with the dough is to take small chunks of the dough and flattening them out in my hand to then place on top. Why am I explaining this? It’s all in the video! Check it out below!
- Salted Caramel;
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 50 g Butter melted
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 - 1 Tsp Salt
- Cookie Pie;
- 200 g Butter partially melted
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanill Essence
- 1 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 2 and 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Sea Salt to garnish
- To Make the Salted Caramel;
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on a medium to high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for at least 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add the salt and allow to cool.
- To Make the Cookie Pie;
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 9" or 20cm round pie dish.
- Beat the super soft or partially melted butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla essence and golden syrup and beat in.
- Mix in the flour and baking powder.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread half the cookie dough in an even layer as the the base in the prepared dish.
- Pour over the salted caramel.
- Top with the remaining cookie dough.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. The middle will still wobble but the outside will be starting to turn golden.
- Allow it to cool completely before slicing otherwise the caramel will just run everywhere.