Who likes dates?
I know I don’t!
Dates look funny, taste too sweet and are just not associated with nice food. But…..
I have discovered, dates aren’t as bad as I thought they were….. Provided they are disguised. For instance: Dates can be substituted as a healthier alternative to sugar in chocolatey goods. In fact, I might even go as far as to say…. I sometimes prefer it. (I will do some recipes using this method another time).
But today’s recipe isn’t a chocolatey recipe. It’s a vanilla, cinnamon recipe. Or as they’re called: Vanilla, Cinnamon, Date Bars.
These bars are DELICIOUS! (And this is coming from a date hater). (Well I wouldn’t say hater… More like date disliker…)
Anyway the butter and cinnamon make these taste amazing and the vanilla gives the dates a wonderful sweet flavour. They taste so bad for you but really they are actually quite good for you, minus the butter and sugar….. But who cares right? They taste GOOD!
So date lovers and date haters alike, I dare you to try these and tell me what you think.
- 1 and ½ Cups(325mL)Water
- 2 Cups(200g)DatesChopped
- 2tspVanilla Essence
- 3/4 Cup(180g)ButterSoftened
- 1 Cup(200g)Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup(90g)Oats
- 1 and ¼ Cups(155g)Wholemeal Flour
- 1tspBaking Soda
Preheat oven to 180°C and grease or line a 9"x13" baking tin with baking paper.
- Chop the dates into small pieces and add to the water in a saucepan.
- Bring the dates to the boil then turn down to a simmer until the dates are soft and the mixture has thickened.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar until they are combined but there are still lumps of butter present.
- Add the wholemeal flour, oats, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Mix together with your hands until the mixture is nice and crumbly.
- Spread ½ to 2/3 of the mixture evenly over the baking tray.
- Take the dates off the heat and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Allow it to cool slightly.
- Pour the date mixture gently over the base of the slice and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumbly mixture over the top of the dates and place it in the oven.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until it is nice and golden on the top.
- Allow it to cool completely before slicing it into bars.