Textured Spice Cookies; buttery, soft spice cookies with a lovely texture from the crushed biscuits. Baking these will give you the lovely, comforting feeling of home as the weather turns cooler.
Depending on where you are in the world, some of you may be getting the flowers blooming and the warmer weather of Spring. However, if you live in the Southern Hemisphere like me, we are getting the leaves falling off trees and the cooler weather of Autumn.
In New Zealand, it was like a switch had been flipped as soon as Autumn started. One day we had bright, hot sunshine, the next, was cold, wet and windy. Oh well, I was getting a bit sick of the hot weather anyway!
No matter where you are and no matter what the weather is doing you must try these cookies! I got the inspiration to use crushed biscuits in the batter from Averie Cooks – Cream Cheese Cookies. I thought the added flavour and texture of the the crushed biscuits would be a perfect addition to the spices that would take these cookies from great to amazing. And guess what? It did!
The recipe is like a simple cookie recipe with a couple of twists. The first being the addition of the crushed biscuits. If you are in the USA or anywhere where you can get Graham Crackers, use those. For New Zealand or anywhere you can’t get Graham Crackers, use digestives or wine biscuits. The other twist is the use of dark brown sugar. The dark brown sugar has had more molasses added to the sugar which enhances the spices and adds to the richness of the cookies.
My family and I gobbled these up in moments when I made them. You will find one minute they’re on the plate and the next, they’re gone.
- 110g Butter, softened
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Cornflour
- 1 and 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 - 3/4 Tsp Mixed Spice
- Pinch of Cloves
- 3/4 Cup Crushed Biscuits
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with cooking paper.
- Beat the butter and all the sugars together.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Crush the biscuits either by hand or in a food processor.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat on a low speed until all combined into a sticky dough.
- Roll into balls and place on the tray, making sure ou leave space between each ball as they will spread a little.
- Refrigerate for at least 3/4 of an hour.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. They will be soft.
- Leave some of the crushed biscuits larger than others for more crunchy bits. If you just want a softer texture, crush them smaller.
- If you want less spreading, chill the dough for at least 2-3 hours.
- Test the dough when putting in the spices. You may want more or less depending on you personal taste.