Welcome to another week dedicated to one particular food. This week, I’m focusing on cake. As my birthday is coming up on Friday, I thought what better way to celebrate than to have a whole week dedicated to cake?
The first recipe of the week is Hummingbird Cake: A super moist – I know, cringe! – pineapple, banana, walnut cake topped and filled with cream cheese icing. This is a timeless traditional cake and when I served this to my family it was gone in seconds. Seriously, it’s that good!
Hummingbird cakes have many variations. I have seen some made with the addition of nuts, coconut and carrots. However, every recipe I came across all had the fundamental elements of bananas, pineapple, blanched almonds and spices. In my version of the hummingbird cake I decided to keep it simple and stick to base elements with just the addition of walnuts to give a light crunch and added flavour. This cake has seriously got to be one to the best cakes I have ever made and eaten.
Not only is this cake super delicious, it is also super easy to make. This is a one bowl recipe and doesn’t require a mixer! All you need to do is mix all the wet ingredients (tinned crushed pineapple, oil, mashed bananas, vanilla essence and eggs) together. Add the dry (blanched almonds, walnuts, flour, baking soda, sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice), mix them together and that’s it! It is vegan as we use oil instead of butter in this I paired this cake with my cream cheese icingand the flavours of the cake and the icing marry together perfectly!
The icing I chose to pair this cake with is not vegan in this I paired this cake with my cream cheese icingand the flavours of the cake and the icing marry together perfectly! This cake is vegan as we use oil instead of butter. The icing, however is not so if you want this cake completely vegan you will have to use a different icing of your choice.
- 1and 1/3 Cups Oil
- 325gTinned Crushed Pineapple
- 3BananasVery Ripe
- 1TbspVanilla Essence
- 3EggsLightly Beaten
- 3/4CupBlanched Almonds
- 1TspBaking Soda
- 1TspBaking Powder
- 1TspGround Ginger
- 1/4TspMixed Spice
- Cream Cheese Icing;
- 1CupCream Cheese
- 3-4CupsIcing Sugar
- 2tspVanilla Essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line two 22cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Mash the bananas and lightly beat the eggs.
- Add the bananas, eggs, oil, crushed pineapple and vanilla essence in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the sugar, blanched almonds, chopped walnuts, flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Mix together until all incorporated.
- Pour even amounts of batter into each cake pan and place in the oven for 30 - 45 minutes. Check at 30 minutes and when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean they are cooked.
- Allow them to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing take the cream cheese and butter and beat together until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla essence and beat until all combined.
- Spread 1/3 of the icing in the center of the cake and then spread the rest over the top and sides of the cake.
Adapted from Jo Seagar