Who doesn’t love cupcakes?
Until last year I had never actually made cupcakes. In fact until a year before that, I had never actually tasted a cupcake! I know crazy right?
Maybe it’s because I’m in New Zealand and it took a little while for the obsession around cupcakes to reach us or whether I was just oblivious to the cupcake craze. But for a long time, I didn’t actually realise the world had suddenly got this obsession with cupcakes. When I did learn about it, I really didn’t understand what all the fuss was about. I mean, its just a cake in a muffin case right?
So after everyone was talking about cupcakes, making cupcakes, eating cupcakes, I decided I had to try one and see why everyone in the world had gone a bit crazy over cupcakes. I thought after eating one I would say, “it’s alright” or “I don’t know what all the fuss is about”….
How wrong I was.
After one bite into a choclate cupcake, I was hooked. It was moist, soft, fluffy and light. Just like the perfect piece of cake should be. And the icing….. Don’t even get me started on the delicious buttercream that was just piled on top of this delicious chocolate cake in a muffin case.
It was then, in that moment, that I knew I had to find the best cupcake recipes I could and make them. So I began my search. One book, 10c for a photocopy, a trip to supermarket, and my search was complete. First go, I knew this cupcake could not be beaten. It was the best thing I had made in a long time. And my mother agreed.
But don’t take my word for it.
Try it for yourself! I promise, you won’t regret it.
- For the Cupcakes;
- 1 Cup(110g)ButterSoftened
- 1 Cup(200g)Caster Sugar
- ½tspVanilla Essence
- ½ Cup(50g)Cocoa
- 1 Cup(250mL)Boiling Water
- 1 1/3 Cups(194g)Flour
- ½tspBaking Soda
- ½tspBaking Powder
- For the Frosting;
- 2 Cups(250g)Icing Sugar
- 1/4 Cup(25g)Cocoa
- 2TbspCream or Milk
- For the Cupcakes;
Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12 piece muffin tray.
- Mix the cocoa and boiling water together until the cocoa has dissolved. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
- With the mixer on, add a 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Then add a 1/3 of the cocoa mixture. Continue alternating between the two, always beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin cases and place in the oven for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cupcakes are soft to the touch.
- Place them on a tray to cool completely.
- Chocolate Frosting;
- Beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa and cream or milk and beat.
- Slowly add the icing sugar as the beaters are going. If the mixture is too stiff add a bit more cream until it is the right consistency.