What exactly IS a Chocolate Brownie Cookies and Cream Freak Shake you ask? Well my friends…… It is layer, upon layer, of cookies and cream ice cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, crushed Oreos, brownie pieces and caramel tart pieces! And if that wasn’t enough, its topped with vanilla ice cream, a brownie, a caramel tart, more Oreos and dripping in chocolate and caramel sauce…… Completely over-the-top, a total show stopper and so much fun!
Can we… just take…. a moment…. to take all this in?……………………………………………. I honestly don’t know what to say except: You need this in your life. Right. Now.
I first began hearing about crazy, over-the-top milkshakes about 8 months ago when different shops in New York and Australia were making headlines for their milkshakes.
Of course the photos of all the different crazy milkshake creations took over the internet and I was stuck in New Zealand drooling all over my phone, unable to access these larger than life shakes! So I was forced (willingly) to create my own!
Its best to have all the components ready and at your finger tips before beginning this shake. That means having the Oreos crushed, the sauces made the Brownie and tart pieces chopped, the glass and straw handy, the ice cream scoop and ice creams ready to go.
To begin make the brownies and the caramel tarts. I recommend making them either the night before or earlier in the day so they have ample time to set and cool. (I used my Chewy Brownies and Caramel Tarts for this.)
Now to construct the shake.
Drizzle the caramel sauce (I used my Caramel Filling as my sauce) around the inside of the cup and then dip the rim of the cup in the sauce. This acts as the glue when you sprinkle the crushed oreos around the outside of the rim on the glass.
Next take the chocolate sauce and drizzle that in the bottom. Take two scoops of cookies and cream ice cream and place them in the glass. Drizzle those with the two sauces, crushed oreos and the chopped brownie and tart pieces.
Scoop two more scoops of ice cream over the top. This should take you to the top of the glass. (If your glass is larger you may need more ice cream and you can repeat the above instructions.)
Top with a scoop of the vanilla ice cream. Place a whole Oreo on top. Place the straw through the brownie and caramel tart and put it in the drink. Top with the remaining crushed Oreos and the two sauces. Serve on a plate with a spoon handy and you are finished!
You will probably notice there is no milk in my milkshake and that I have replaced the whipped cream top – that a lot of these crazy shakes have – with vanilla ice cream. This is deliberate. I, personally, am not a huge fan of milk or topping my shakes with cream so I omitted those and let my shake sit for 5-7 minutes before diving in. The ice cream melts slightly and it turns into a super creamy milkshake/thick-shake/sundae.
If you’re not convinced by this, then of course you can mix the ice cream in milk or a flavoured milk to create a regular milkshake consistency and replace the vanilla ice cream with whipped cream.
Over the top, messy, rich, fun, crazy and show stopping. My blog is called Lights, Camera, BAKE! after all. Flair and movie star quality is needed. ; )
I have tried my best to describe this shake and do it justice but really no words can describe this. You will have to find out what I mean and try this!
- 2 pieces of my Chewy Brownies
- 1/2 Batch of my Caramel Filling or store bought sauce
- 3 of my Caramel Tarts
- 5 Crushed Oreos
- 1 Whole Oreo
- 4-5 Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/2 Cup Milk or Flavoured Milk Optional
- Whipped Cream Optional
- Chocolate Sauce Or store bought sauce;
- 125 g Dark Chocolate
- 20 g Butter
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- First make the brownies, caramel tarts, caramel sauce and chocolate sauce.
- For the chocolate sauce;
- Place the chocolate, butter and milk in a saucepan and melt together.
- Crush the Oreos and chop up two of the caramel tarts and one of the brownies into small cubes.
- Make sure everything is at room temperature before moving onto the next step.
- Using a tall glass, similar to the size of a beer glass, line the inside with some of the caramel sauce.
- Dip the rim of the glass in the caramel and sprinkle some of the Oreos around the outside.
- Spoon a tablespoon of chocolate sauce in the bottom of the glass.
- Place two scoops of the cookies and cream ice cream in the glass.
- Sprinkle half of the crushed Oreos, some more chocolate and caramel sauce and the chopped brownie and caramel tarts over the top.
- Place two more scoops of ice cream on top.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
- Place the Oreo into the ice cream.
- Place the straw trough the remaining caramel tart and brownie before placing that in the top.
- Cover with remaining crushed Oreos and as much of the sauces as you want.
- It should be oozing down the sides so serve on a plate with a large spoon!
- Let it sit for 5-7 minutes for it all to soften and lightly melt together.
Replace the vanilla ice cream with whipped cream if you prefer.