This is home popped popcorn smothered in a four ingredient, homemade, salted caramel sauce! This is the perfect balance between salty and sweet and is perfect for those movie days.
I’m going to let you all in on a little secret….. I’m not a fan of popcorn! I wouldn’t say I hate it because, well, if it’s there, I can’t help but eat it but I would never just buy it for myself. I buy chocolate over popcorn at the movies. I thought I would never be a popcorn fan, that was until I made this recipe that is!
This popcorn can be popped in just a few minutes in a large saucepan. What’s great with self popped popcorn is that it costs just as much as microwave popcorn, takes just as long to make but is much healthier and not covered in all the additives. Plus it’s much more satisfying to see the popcorn pop and jump around.
The salted caramel sauce is the same sauce featured in the salted caramel cookie pie and the salted Tim Tam truffles. It comes together in 10 minutes and all that’s left to do is to mix the popped popcorn and the caramel sauce together and you’re finished! So quick and simple, fun and delicious.
- 1/3 Cup Corn Kernels
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- Salted Caramel Sauce;
- 50g Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Milk
- 1/2 - 1 Tsp Salt
- First make the salted caramel sauce.
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on a medium to high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for at least 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add the salt and allow to cool while you make the popcorn.
- Place a large, heavy bottomed saucepan on a high heat and melt the coconut oil.
- Allow it to heat for a few minutes before adding the corn kernels.
- Place a lid over the top of the saucepan and swirl the pan every once and a while to stop the kernels from burning.
- Allow the corn to pop and once the popping stops, take it off the heat.
- Stir the cooled salted caramel sauce through the popcorn and eat as is or allow the caramel to set completely in the fridge.