Leftover Cookie Cheesecake Bars…. I admit, that is an odd name. Though, this is an odd recipe. I don’t blame you if you can’t work out what I’m getting at. Let me explain
One day as I was going through the freezer, I found a bag of cookies that I had made months earlier and totally forgot about. (When you bake as much as me, the freezers get full and things like this tend to happen!) So I got them out and my Mother actually asked me if I could turn them into anything. At this point I thought she was crazy, what the heck would I do with baked biscuits?!
After thinking on it awhile it finally hit me that I could crush them and mix them with butter to make a base for a cheesecake! I had not idea if it would work as these baked cookies are soft not hard like graham crackers or digestives. But, me being me, I put on my experiment hat and gave it a go. I’m so glad I did. These are seriously awesome!
As I know most people won’t have enough leftover cookies to make a base for a whole cheesecake, I turned the recipe into a small batch and into bars. Of course you could double the recipe if you have a lot of leftover biscuits or you could make a fresh batch especially for these. Just make sure you allow them to cool completely and – depending on the type of cookies – let them sit for at least a day so they will crumble and not just squish together.
For mine I used a combination of chocolate cookies and traditional M&M cookies. You could use whatever you have lying around.
I would love to hear different flavours and combinations everyone tries. Comment to let others know what you used and how they turned out!
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Baked Cookies
- 1/2 Packet Crushed Biscuits (Graham Crackers or Digestives)
- 70g Butter, melted
- 125g Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Yoghurt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Crumbled Baked Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line an 8"x8" tin with baking paper.
- Crush together the biscuits, cookies and butter.
- Press into the base of the prepared tin.
- Beat together the cream cheese, egg, icing sugar, vanilla essence and yoghurt.
- Pour over the base.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take it out and sprinkle the remaining crumbled baked cookies over the top and put back in the oven for a further 20-25 minutes.
- There should be a light wobble.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then place in the fridge for at least 4 hours but it is better the next day.
- Use any flavoured cookies. Experiment!
- You can double the recipe if you have more cookies that need to be used.