This Apple Crumb Cake is a beautifully soft and fluffy, lightly spiced apple cake with a buttery crumb running though the center and on top. I made this promising myself I would only have a small piece… *sigh*. Three pieces later….
This is one of those cakes that can be served as dessert, as a birthday cake, for brunch, with a coffee or even breakfast! The apple crumb cake is no fuss, quick and so easy to whip up you’ll be making one everyday.
The batter is a cinnamon apple, one bowl mix and the crumb is buttery, spiced, easy one mixture too. No need to frost or decorate this beauty. Just layer the cake batter and the crumb in the baking pan and bake. Serve the cake straight from the oven with some ice cream or let it cool and serve cold. Both ways are delicious. Trust me, I know!
I hope your week is off to a good start. I can feel Winter is well and truly on its way so I’m off to snuggle up by the fire. Have a wonderful week and if you try this recipe please comment your thoughts below or #lightscamerabake on Instagram and share your creation!
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Flour
- 120g Butter, Melted
- 1 and 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Apple Cake;
- 2 Apples, Peeled and diced into small thin cubes
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Cup Yoghurt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1-2 Tsp Cinnamon (depending on your flavour preference)
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- First make the crumb.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Pour over the melted butter and mix until all combined and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and line a 20cm round cake tin and set aside.
- Place the oil, yoghurt, vanilla essence, sugar and eggs in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and fold through. Mix until just combined.
- Peel and dice your apples.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the cake pan and spread in an even layer.
- Top with half of the apple slices.
- Top that with half of the crumble and repeat the process again.
- Place in the oven for 35-35 minutes depending on your oven. Check at 35 minutes with a skewer inserted in the middle.
- The skewer should come out clear, save from a few of the crumble crumbs.