Salted Caramel M&M Slice is a chewy ,gooey slice with a flavour similar to that of red velvet. (Lightly chocolately with a vanilla undertone). M&Ms are scattered throughout and homemade salted caramel is then thrown in a layer in the middle.
Could these get anymore perfect?
I was inspired by the red velvet flavours from this slice. I slightly adapted this to make it a little gooier with an outer chew. And added a mountain of M&Ms of course..
I used my trusty Salted Caramel Sauce recipe for the salted caramel filling.
I love the balance of flavours in these. You know I normally love recipes that are rich with chocolate but this slice just has a hint of chocolate which is actually all we want. It means we can taste and get all the other flavours from this slice. The salted caramel and the M&Ms aren’t being overpowered by the cocoa and instead the flavours all marry together.
I found the salted caramel wasn’t as strong straight from the oven. After letting them cool for an hour the salted caramel comes through a lot stronger so don’t be alarmed if you can’t taste it at first. They’re even better the next day if you can wait that long.
When I first suggested this flavour and ingredient combo to my mother, she was a little dubious. Her hesitation fueled my need to test out my idea so straight to the kitchen I went. The first test resulted in not enough salted caramel but test number two ended up perfect so rather than ruin a good thing, I took the photos you see here and ate as many pieces of this as I could stomach. (Which was a lot).
- 110 g Butter Softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 and 2/3 Cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup M&Ms
- 1/4 Cup M&Ms On Top
- Salted Caramel;
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 100 g Butter
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1-2 Tsp Salt
- First make the salted caramel sauce.
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on a medium to high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for at least 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add the salt and allow to cool while you make the slice.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x9 baking tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla essence.
- Beat in the flour, baking soda and cocoa.
- Stir in the M&Ms
- Pour half into the prepared baking tin and top with the salted caramel sauce. Top with the remaining mixture and top with more M&Ms to decorate and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The top and sides will be set and a skewer inserted should come out clean.