I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Today marks the last day of Cupcake Week and the third cupcake recipe of the week! I thoroughly enjoyed having cupcake week here on Lights, Camera, BAKE! as I don’t make cupcakes as often as I would like so this was a great excuse to break out the pretty cupcake cases and piping bags!
This recipe is for Mint Chocolate Cupcakes. These are my super soft, moist and fluffy chocolate cupcakes that was used at the beginning of the week, filled with a mint and dark chocolate ganache, topped with a rich and creamy mint chocolate frosting. If you love peppermint and chocolate you will absolutely ADORE these.
I was told by my testers that these are very, VERY, moreish. You have been warned!
These feel like adult food. Of course these are suitable for children but the flavours of the mint and the dark chocolate in the ganache give these cupcakes a decedent almost indulgent feel to them. Definitely suitable dinner party food. Besides, once you’ve made these you won’t be able to stop at one so there will be none left for the kids!
- 110 g Butter, Softened (1/2 Cup)
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 and 1/3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1-2 tsp Peppermint Extract, To taste
- 50 g Dark Chocolate, at least 60% cocoa
- 50 mL Cream
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 20 g Butter, Softened (2 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. Cream or Milk
- 2 tsp Peppermint Extract
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 12 piece muffin tray.
- Mix the cocoa and boiling water together until the cocoa has dissolved. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
With the mixer on, add a 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Then add a 1/3 of the cocoa mixture. Continue alternating between the two, always beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin cases and place in the oven for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cupcakes are soft to the touch.
- Place them on a tray to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate and cream in a saucepan and melt together over a low heat.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of the peppermint extract and taste.
- Add more if you like more peppermint.
- Leave to cool while you make the frosting.
- Beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa, peppermint extract and cream or milk and beat.
- Slowly add the icing sugar as the beaters are going. If the mixture is too stiff add a bit more cream until it is the right consistency.
- Fill each cupcake with the mint dark chocolate ganache and pipe the frosting on in any design you wish.
Tip: Use the end of a wooden spoon to press the centre of the cupcakes in to make a hole for your filling.