Since today marks the final day for Nutella Week here on LCB, I thought we deserved to finish with an ooey gooey treat because we’re all about ooey gooey here.
The week started with these Nutella Cookies and Cream Crunch Bars which were then followed by the best Nutella Brownies in the world. Now here we are with the Gooey Nutella Marshmallow Bars. These bars are a soft and gooey slice with a generous layer of Nutella smeared lovingly through the middle with a few marshmallows to finish off these soft, gooey, albeit slightly ugly looking bars.
These were originally going to be s’mores but part way through recipe testing I had bit of a brainwave and completely changed the recipe. Suddenly the gooey Nutella marshmallow bars were born.
**Note: These can be made successfully with gluten free flour. As you may know (from here, here, here and here) I have been experimenting with gluten free flour. (Not because I have coeliacs or plan to be gluten free. More because I’m a baker and like to experiment with new things and also because my stomach doesn’t handle wheat the greatest.) I also know that some of my readers may be in the same boat as me or have coeliacs and allowing there to the option is a great thing.**
I used a store bought gluten free flour and the results were the same as if I used regular flour so that was awesome!
Right, on to the actual bars.
The basis of these bars can only be described as a cookie bar. Soft and gooey in the middle with a light chewy and crunch on the outside. Oh and packed full of chocolate chips of course.
We use half a cup of Nutella for these which may seem like a lot when you make them but you really do want a thick layer, otherwise I found the Nutella just kind of disappears in the cooking process and there’s nothing worse than disappearing Nutella is there?
Another thing which may seem odd with this recipe is that I only use around five regular sized marshmallows in the top layer of the bars. Yes you read that correctly. The reason for such a little amount is because as the slice cooks, the marshmallows spread and if you have too many you end up creating a giant, gooey, marshmallow monster that takes over the flavour and texture of the bars completely.
I hope you enjoyed Nutella week as much as I did and when you give these recipes a go, remember to #lightscamerabake on Instagram. I love see your creations. Also make sure you subscribe to my YouTube channel for more food videos like the one above!
- 120 g Butter Softened
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Icing Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Egg
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Flour or gluten free flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Nutella
- 5-6 Regular Size Marshmallows
- 1/4 Cup Condensed Milk Optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line an 8x8 baking pan with baking paper and set aside.
- Beat the partially melted butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the vanilla essence and egg.
- Beat in the flour, baking soda and baking powder until all combined.
- Stir through the chocolate chips.
- Press half of the mixture into the base of the baking pan.
- Spread the Nutella over the top in an even layer.
- Pour over the condensed milk (if using).
- Place over the marshmallows in a spread out formation as they will spread as they cook.
- Press over the rest of the dough in an even layer covering the Nutella and marshmallows.
- Bake for around 20 minutes. The top and sides with be golden and the middle will wobble slightly but not too much. When a skewer entered in the middle comes out with a few light crumbs attached it is cooked.