Remember the Cookie Pie Week I did last month? The week where I released three different cookie pie recipes? Well this month I’m doing another week filled with one baked treat…. Cupcakes. Welcome to Cupcake Week!
To start this week off I’m beginning with one of my favourite cupcake to make and the cupcake flour combination I make the most. Chocolate Cupcakes with a Buttery Caramel Filling. These chocolate cupcakes are my go to recipe because they turn out rich and chocolatey, moist and fluffy and melt-in-your-mouth Every. Single. Time. They are then filled with my favourite buttery caramel recipe and topped with a rich chocolate frosting.
I have posted about all these components separately on this blog here, here and here but I have never posted about this combination or explained how much I really love these and how much YOU will too! Click the above links to be taken to each post if you want a more in depth look at how to make each component.
Oh, just look at that gorgeous filling!
Also if you haven’t already heard, I have opened the Lights, Camera, BAKE! Online Shop – check it out here!
- 110 g Butter, Softened (1/2 Cup)
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 and 1/3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (200g)
- 20 g Butter (2 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup (Or Brown Sugar)
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 20 g Butter, Softened (2 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. Cream or Milk
Preheat oven to 180°C (350 F) and line a 12 piece muffin tray.
- Mix the cocoa and boiling water together until the cocoa has dissolved. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
With the mixer on, add a 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Then add a 1/3 of the cocoa mixture. Continue alternating between the two, always beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin cases and place in the oven for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cupcakes are soft to the touch.
- Place them on a tray to cool completely.
- Place the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir and wait for the butter and brown sugar to dissolve.
- Bring it nearly to the boil then remove from the heat. Allow it to cool a little before filling your cupcakes.
- Beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa and cream or milk and beat.
- Slowly add the icing sugar as the beaters are going. If the mixture is too stiff add a bit more cream until it is the right consistency.
- Place the icing in a piping bag and pipe how ever you wish.
Tip: Use the end of a wooden spoon to press the centre of the cupcakes in to make a hole for your filling.