This Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake is a flourless chocolate cake with layers chocolate and white chocolate mousse. The great thing about this cake is that it is automatically gluten free and wheat free!
Today’s recipe is one of those decadent, showstopping and completely indulgent desserts that pop up, oh, every once in a while on this blog. The triple chocolate mousse cake is a recipe that sounds technical and looks hard to make and is very impressive when serving at a dinner party or to guests but is really quite easy to make. It doesn’t even take very long!
The flourless chocolate cake is rich and dense while remaining fluffy from the eggs. The great thing about this cake is that it doesn’t taste ‘eggy’. There are only three eggs needed to give the cake the lift it needs and as you may have heard me say before, I hate ‘eggy’ tasting things.
For the chocolate mousse, I went for a simple two ingredient mousse recipe. That means no uncooked eggs, no beating egg whites and trying to stabilize the mousse. All we need is melted chocolate and cream. The key for the mousse to be successful and become light and fluffy not a ganache is to whip 3/4 of the cream and melt the remaining 1/4 of the cream with the chocolate and then fold the chocolate mixture through the whipped cream. This ensures the chocolate doesn’t solidify when hitting the cool whipped cream and you end up with hard, lumpy chocolate cream! As you can see from the photos above, the mousse is very light and fluffy.
The white chocolate mousse is made the same way as the chocolate and then to finish this cake off we drizzle it with a chocolate ganache. The cake really does need to set in the fridge for a good two hours but preferably overnight, just so the mousse can set properly. I also like to make both mousses and the chocolate ganache while the flourless chocolate cake is cooking and then just store them in the fridge until each one is needed.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake;
- 110 g Butter
- 260 g Dark Chocolate
- 3 Large Eggs Separated
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- Chocolate Mousse;
- 3/4 Cup Cream
- 80 g Dark Chocolate
- White Chocolate Mousse;
- 3/4 Cup Cream
- 100 g White Chocolate
- Chocolate Ganache;
- 50 g Dark Chocolate
- 50 mL Cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease 20cm or 22cm spring-form pan and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together until combined.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and begin beating on a low speed.
- Increase the speed and slowly add in the sugar and beat until the mixture begins to look fluffy and then add in the vanilla. Continue beating until all sugar is dissolved and the meringue looks shiny (nearly soft-peak stage).
- Stir in the egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and add half of the meringue into the chocolate mixture and mix gently until mostly combined.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the remaining meringue until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and place in the oven to bake. In a heat proof bowl, pour in around two inches of boiling water and place on the lower oven rack so the steam will help keep the edges soft and stop the cake from drying out.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature. (The cake will sink in the middle slightly once out of the oven.)
- Leave the cake in the spring form pan to use as the mold for the mousses.
- Now make the chocolate mousse.
- In a bowl place 1/2 cup of the cream and whip to soft peaks.
- In another bowl melt the chocolate and remaining cream together and mix through the whipped cream.
- Repeat this process with the white chocolate mousse.
- Spread the chocolate mousse over the cooled cake and spread evenly.
- Place in the fridge to set for at least an hour but preferably two.
- Spread over the white chocolate mousse and let the cake set for four hours or overnight.
- Make the chocolate ganache and drizzle over the cake before serving.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream until boiling point and then take off the heat and pour over the chocolate.
- Mix until smooth and glossy.