Mini Chocolate Cupcakes are a soft and fluffy chocolate cupcake topped with a rich chocolate buttercream. Mini chocolate cupcakes mean they are perfect finger food for events or – if you’re like me – it means you can have a handful and not feel so bad going for a second… or a third!
These mini cupcakes couldn’t be easier to make. I used my chocolate cupcake recipe that has never let me down. I have made countless cupcakes using this recipe and it has never failed to produce soft, fluffy, moist and rich chocolate cupcakes. In my opinion they are the best darn cupcakes ever!
Because these are mini, we end up with 48 cupcakes! Perfect for taking as an easy, crowd-pleasing dessert to a party or get together ooorrrrr……. Just enough to last a few days if you’re eating them by yourself! Trust me, you won’t stop at one.
The frosting for these is just a simple chocolate buttercream. Butter, icing sugar, milk and cocoa powder is all we need for this. My tips for the perfect buttercream is to make sure the butter is at room temperature and to beat the butter before adding any of the other ingredients. This ensures a lump free buttercream. Also add the ingredients a little at a time. Don’t just throw in all the icing sugar or all the milk. If you throw all the icing sugar in at once you will end up with a huge powdered mess. (Oh yes, I’ve been there!). You also never know how much milk you may or may not need to add that in batches.
Another week has flown by and we’re already four days into September! Seriously, where is the time going?!
If you make this recipe or any of other recipes don’t forget to #lightscamerabake on Instagram so I can see your lovely creations. Also please make sure you like my Facebook page and I have few new and special things coming up on my YouTube channel so stay tuned for that!
- For the Cupcakes;
- 110 g Butter Softened
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ Cup Cocoa
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 and 1/3 Cups Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- For the Frosting;
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 100 g Butter Softened
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp - 1/4 Cup Milk
- For the Cupcakes;
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 24 piece mini muffin tray.
- Mix the cocoa and boiling water together until the cocoa has dissolved. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
- With the mixer on, add a 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Then add a 1/3 of the cocoa mixture. Continue alternating between the two, always beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the muffin cases and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cupcakes are soft to the touch.
- Place them on a tray to cool completely.
- Chocolate Frosting;
- Beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa and two tablespoon of milk and beat.
- Slowly add the icing sugar as the beaters are going. If the mixture is too stiff add a bit more milk until it is the right consistency.