It’s Saturday! Let’s celebrate the weekend with something completely showstopping, over-the-top and oh so decedent.
This is the last day of Easter Week here on LCB and we’re going out with a bang. Easter Freak Shake kind of a bang. That’s right, homemade Easter chocolate ice cream that is then turned into a freak shake with mountains of homemade chocolate sauce and various Easter eggs and treats.
I actually made this LAST Easter! I tested the recipe, took the photos and filmed all of this a year a go and actually managed to keep it a secret from you. You can only imagine how hard it has been to not get over excited and share this early.
I mean look at all that Easter egg, chocolatey goodness!
Let’s dive into the recipe shall we?
We begin with the homemade Easter chocolate ice cream. This is an adaptation of the super easy, three ingredient, no churn ice cream I posted about here. We take that simple recipe of cream, condensed milk and vanilla essence and add melted chocolate to it. Not just any melted chocolate. A melted Easter bunny or large Easter egg. (You could use regular melted chocolate but, hey, it’s Easter!). Not only do we turn this ice cream into chocolate ice cream but we also add chopped Easter eggs. So we now have an Easter egg crunch, chocolate ice cream. (As you will see in the video below, I used various Easter eggs. Some mini, some solid, some marshmallow, etc.)
As the ice cream freezes you can create all the other elements for this Easter freak shake. We will be needing chocolate sauce. (I use this simple homemade chocolate sauce recipe but if you want to save time you can use store bought).
You will also need the remaining collection of Easter eggs you will have left over from the ice cream. (Trust me when I say this is a very over-the-top freak shake!)
Finally you will need some baked Easter treats. For this, I only used my Messy Easter S’mores Bars for the top as I made this freak shake last year and only had that treat in my repertoire. Since I have now also made these Easter Funfetti Bars, you could choose to use those for topping insteasd. It’s completely up to you. Both bars have amazing flavours and either are a perfect compliment to this freak shake.
(Let me know what you choose in the comments, or better yet, #lightscamerabake on Instagram and show me your Easter Freak Shake creations!)
You of course assemble this in a very large glass and there you go! A delicious, over-the-top, showstopping, indulgent, frozen Easter treat.
- Easter Egg Ice Cream;
- 600 mL Cream
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk
- 1 - 2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 200 g Easter Egg or bunny melted
- 1/2 - 1 Cup Solid and Marshmallow Easter Eggs Chopped
- Chocolate Sauce;
- 125 g Dark Chocolate
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 2-4 Pieces Messy Easter S'mores Bars
- 2-4 Pieces Easter Funfetti Bars
- 2-3 Marshmallow East Eggs
- 12 Various Small Easter Eggs
- To begin make the ice cream.
- With a beater, beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the condensed milk and the vanilla essence and lightly beat until it is all combined.
- Melt the Easter egg or bunny and fold into the ice cream.
- Chop up your solid Eggs and marshmallow eggs and fold through the ice cream.
- Pour into a container and place in the freezer to set (preferably overnight).
- I have found it is set enough after four hours if you like a soft serve consistency.
- While the ice cream is setting, make the chocolate sauce.
- Place the chocolate, milk and golden syrup into a pot on a medium heat.
- tir all the ingredients together until the chocolate has melted.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool while you make either the Messy Easter S'mores Bars or the Easter Funfetti Bars.
- To assemble;
- Grab a large, tall glass or milkshake glass and dip the top in the chocolate sauce.
- Pour some more in the base of the glass.
- Add around six of the small Easter eggs and one marshmallow egg.
- Take three large scoops of the ice cream and mix with 1/2 Cup milk until you have a milkshake consistency and pour into the glass.
- Topp with more chocolate sauce and as many Easter eggs as you like.
- Pile on the pieces of Messy Easter S'mores Bars or Easter Funfetti Bars.
- Top with more chocolate sauce and enjoy.
You could make two freak shakes with the amount of ice cream you have. Just double the chocolate sauce and the amount of toppings you have.
This is customizeable. You can you use more or less chocolate sauce, toppings, easter eggs, etc.
Make this your own!