Caramel Spiced Oat Bars are a soft and pillowy, chocolate chip, lightly spiced oat bar filled with the best buttery caramel ever. They’re gooey with a lightly crisp outside and when I made these, they disappeared in seconds!
These bars are perfect for any occasion. Brunch, lunch, snack, dessert, family gatherings…. This is one of those versatile recipes that is a definite crowd pleaser and also so quick and easy to make. (You can even trick yourself into thinking these are semi healthy with the oats!)
These are so easy to make. You don’t even need a mixer! Just one bowl for the oat mixture and one saucepan for the caramel. For the caramel I use my Caramel Filling recipe as I find this is the best caramel recipe ever! It’s buttery, sweet and everyone raves about it. This caramel is also very thick which is what we want for this filling. If you choose to use a different recipe or a store bought caramel, please make sure it is a thick consistency not a sauce.
For the oat bars. Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Add in the melted butter, eggs and vanilla essence and mix together. Finally add in the chocolate chips and that’s it! This mixture can honestly come together in five minutes. All that’s left to do is to layer the oat mixture and caramel filling and then bake!
The end result is a soft, chocolatey, sweet caramel, chewy oat bar with a slight taste of spice. You just have to try these!
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 and 1/2 Cups Oats
- 1 and 3/4 Cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch Mixed Spice
- 220 g Butter Melted
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Filling;
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk
- 50 g Butter
- 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 9x13 pan with baking paper.
- Place the brown sugar, oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and mixed spice in a bowl and mix togather.
- Melt the butter and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs and vanilla essence and mix all together.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- Now make the caramel.
- Place the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir and wait for the butter to melt.
- Bring it nearly to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Press half of the oat mixture into the base of your baking pan.
- Pour over the caramel mixture.
- Lightly sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top in an even layer.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The outsides and the top should be lightly golden and the center should wobble slightly.
- Allow them to cool completely and then cut into bars.
- You can eat these them warm from the pan just be warned the caramel will run while warm.