I’ve heard these be called Magic Seven Bars, Magic Bars, Seven Layer Bars, even All Saints Slice! I am going for Magic Seven Layer Bars because, well because I can! If you don’t know what these are they are bars. With seven layers…. Traditionally a crushed biscuit base, melted butter, chocolate, coconut, nuts, fruit all topped with condensed milk and baked to a sweet and sticky, delicious slice.
These magic seven layer bars are “technically” six layers not seven. I don’t include fruit in my recipe because in my opinion, they ruin it so instead I used two types of nuts so in some ways it is still seven layers….. In a way…..
If you want to add dried apricots or some other dried fruit then reduced the amount of nuts and add those instead.
For the base I used malt biscuits as I find they give a lovely, rich, flavour to the these bars. The butter holds the base together but adds to the richness. This richness pairs with the sweetness of the chocolate and coconut layers and is then balanced with the crunch from the nuts. I like to use a mixture of sliced almonds and chopped walnuts. (Macadamias and pecans would also work well here.) The condensed milk is then poured all over these before being baked until everything is all glued together.
These bars are a huge hit where ever I take them!
With Christmas just around the corner these are great for family gatherings, gifts or part of the dessert on Christmas day!
- 125 g Malt Biscuits Crushed
- 100 g Melted Butter
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 3/4 Cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x13 baking tin with baking paper.
- Pour the melted butter in the base of the tin.
- Sprinkle over the crushed malt biscuits and gently pat down in an even layer.
- Pour over the mini chocolate chips in an even layer.
- Repeat with the slivered almonds, chopped walnuts and coconut.
- Pour over the condensed milk and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- The sides should be turning a dark golden colour.
- Allow the slice to cool completely before slicing into bars