Happy middle-of-the-work-week! Also the day of the USA 2016 Elections. What can I say about this subject?… I’m not usually into politics and take no notice of New Zealand’s politics, let alone other countries. However, it has been impossible not to be caught up in the USA election and quite honestly it’s been quite a show. It’s been an intense, confusing, shocking and probably the most memorable election in history. For many people, today is going to be very intense but what ever the outcome I have something to lift your spirits and pick you up.
I have a super indulgent and one of my favourite recipes ever to share with you! Buttery Caramel Oat Slice…. These bars are a soft and crunchy oat base and top with a LARGE layer of buttery caramel sandwiched in between! This recipe is a crowd pleaser and I have had so many requests for this recipe I’ve actually lost count.
This recipe was adapted from Jo Seagar’s Caramel Oat Slice but I have, of course, put my own spin on the recipe to make it my own. The base and topping contains both oats and coconut to create a lovely flavour and added crunch in the texture instead of your usual soft cookie base. This texture pairs perfectly with the rich, creamy, buttery, indulgent caramel center. The caramel center is a play on my Caramel Filling recipe.
If you are not a fan of coconut you can substitute it with more oats.
I am so excited to finally be sharing this recipe with you and I really, really, REALLY hope you give this a go. If you do be sure to comment below and share your photo with me on instagram. #lightscamerabake
Don’t forget to check out the video tutorial below.
- 220 g Butter Melted
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 and 2/3 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Self Raising Flour
- 2 and 1/2 Cup Oats
- 1 Cup Coconut
- 110 g Butter
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk
- 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x13 baking tin with baking paper.
- First make the caramel.
- Place the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter in a saucepan on a medium heat and allow them to melt together.
- Once it has all come together take off the heat and add the vanilla essence.
- Allow to cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
- Place the brown sugar in a bowl and mix in the melted butter.
- Add in the eggs and mix.
- Add the two flours, oats and coconut and mix until all combined.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan.
- Top with the caramel and then crumble over the remaining oat mixture on top.
- Place in the oven to bake for around 30 minutes. The top should be a light golden colour.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. I like to cool mine in the fridge so the caramel slices nicely.
Adapted from Jo Seagar's "Caramel Oat Slice"