I know I haven’t been posting as much lately but I hope to change that!!
Truth be told…. I have been baking less lately! I know, I know…. SHOCKING!! The reason being…. I have baked so much that my freezer is full of food! So we’re trying to get through that before I fill it up with more yummy creations.
Not long to go now……
But today I have another experiment to share with you.
I have a wonderful Pear and Almond cake recipe that I love and I wondered what it would be like if I turned it into a Lemon and Almond cake. I know it was risky adding lemon to the cake as that is a strong flavour and it means adding liquid to the cake, but…… What the heck?! There was no harm in trying right?
I’m so glad I did!
After a few adjustments to the original recipe, it turned out really well!
Instead of putting pears and maple syrup on top, I decided to try mixing lemon juice and golden syrup together as a liquid topping.
That, in my opinion, did not go well.
It tasted awful! So I scraped it off and drizzled a lemon and sugar drizzle over top after it was cooked and it turned out lovely.
- 1 ½ Cups Almond Meal
- 1 Cup Self Raising Flour
- 4 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 170g Butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp. Caster Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Rind
- ½ Cup Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a spring form pan.
- Beat eggs, vanilla essence and brown sugar together.
- Add the melted butter and stir well.
- Combine the lemon juice, lemon rind and caster sugar.
- Add the flour and almond meal to the egg mixture and fold together.
- Add the lemon mixture and continue folding. Do not over mix.
- Place mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Keep checking it as everyone’s oven is different.
- Allow to cool a little in the tin.
- If you want to moisten the cake up - Poke holes into the cake with a skewer. Mix lemon and caster sugar together. (Around the same amount as above), and pour over the cake and allow it to soak in.
So take a look at the experiment and try it for yourselves! I would love to know how peoples turned out.