Welcome to another week dedicated to another theme or type of food. This week is Easter Week. Easter is just round the corner so I’m going to spend this week providing you with all the Easter treat recipes you will need this year!
To begin, I present to you these Easter Funfetti Bars. Ooey, gooey, funetti cake inspired bars packed full of a variety of Easter eggs and of course, sprinkles!
If you’re new here (hello!), then be sure to check out this post as it explains the whole ‘week dedicated to a food’ in greater detail. (Plus its an awesome recipe 😉 ).
Cake batter, birthday cake, funfetti…. These are all descriptions of flavours that went straight over my head. They are flavours out of the American kitchen that is now starting to come over to New Zealand. (We now have birthday cake flavoured ice cream!). Since I was never sure of what these flavours were meant to taste like, I never attempted creating a recipe around them. Until now….
You see, I soon discovered that people use boxed cake mix in their recipes to create the signature ‘cake batter or birthday cake’ flavour. Since this discovery, I wanted to try create a flavour that was similar to this so I could call these funfetti bars but also so you didn’t need to rely on any box mixes.
I tried many variations using different Easter eggs and confectionery. From broken pieces of giant eggs, to marshmallow eggs, to caramel, crispy, solid. etc, etc.
I finally found the version I liked and that was using a mixture of the crispy M&M Easter eggs for texture and colour, other mini solid chocolate eggs as I liked slicing into these bars and unleashing the gooey, oozing melted chocolate and finally, in the center of these bars we place a layer Malteser Bunnies for the crunch and the delicious flavour they have.
You could opt to use caramel filled mini eggs or all plain chocolate eggs or a layer of marshmallow eggs in the center (be warned that will get a little messy. Delicious….. But messy!). You really can adapt these to your tastes. I just found these flavours worked the best.
I hope this proves to be a fantastic start to the week for you. I know I’m happy eating Easter inspired treats two weeks before the actual event….
- 200g Butter, Melted
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 Cup Cornflour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/4 Cup Sprinkles
- 1/2 Cup Crispy M&M Easter Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Easter Eggs
- 4-6 Malteser Bunnies
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x9 baking pan with baking paper.
- Beat the melted butter, sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and the vanilla essence and beat.
- Add in the cornflour, baking powder and flour and mix until all combined.
- Mix in the M&M Easter eggs and mini chocolate eggs.
- Spread half of the mixture in the base of the baking pan.
- Lay out the Malteser Bunnies and top with the remaining mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes. Check the bars at 25 minutes the outside and top should be set but the middle slightly wobbly. If it is too 'underdone' for you, baking for a further 10 minutes.